New cookie and privacy policy
Homepage » pubs in Didsbury

Welcome to Ye Olde Cock

Ye Olde Cock Inn, so-called because of the cock fighting that used to take place there. The earliest reference to Didsbury is in a document dating from 1235 recording a grant of land for the building of a chapel. The church was originally called St Oswald's, renamed as St James's Church in 1855. It underwent major refurbishment in 1620 and again in the 19th century. A parsonage was built next to Ye Olde Cock Inn, it soon gained a reputation for being haunted; servants refused to sleep on the premises, and it was abandoned in 1850. Local alderman Fletcher Moss bought the house in 1865, and lived in it for more than 40 years. In 1902, he installed wrought iron gates at the entrance to the parsonage's garden, which, because of the building's reputation, became known locally as "the gates to Hell''. Follow us on twitter @OldCockDidsbury

From the team at Ye Olde Cock

Facilities

  • Icon DescriptionFood
  • Icon DescriptionIlly Coffee

Contact us

  • Call us:


    0161 446 4190

  • Find us:

  • 848 Wilmslow Road

  • Didsbury

  • M20 2RN